Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fish

ΙΧΘΥΣ
The first letter of each Greek word for “Jesus Christ, God’s son, savior” spell the Greek word for “fish”. The Ichthys symbol was used by the early Christians as a secret sign to designate themselves as believers in Jesus.
Fish are mentioned and given symbolic meaning several times in the Gospels. Mark 6:31-44, Matthew 13:47-50, John 21:11, Matthew 17:24-27. Several of Jesus' twelve disciples were fishermen.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." ( Matthew 4:19)



* * * * *

ΙΧΘΥΣ
Der erste Buchstabe von jedem griechischen Wort für "Jesus Christus,Gottes Sohn, Retter" macht das griechische Wort für "Fisch". Das Ichthys-Symbol wurde von den frühen Christen alsein geheimes Zeichen, verwendet um sich als Gläubige an Jesus zu benennen. DieFische werden mehrfach in den Evangelien erwähnt und symbolische Bedeutunggegeben.
Markus 6:31-44, Matthäus 13:47-50, Johannes 21:11, Matthäus17,24-27. Mehrerevon Jesu zwölf Jünger waren Fischer.

"Komm, folge mir nach", sagte Jesus, "und ich werde euch zuFischern von Menschen machen." (Matthäus4.19)


* * * * *

And here is the PDF "Fish" for you to download.

Please do not sell the patterns or the ornaments. If you give them as gifts, please always include the explanation of the symbol.
I would love to hear from all who are using my patterns. It would be nice to know that my efforts are not in vain. You find my email address on the pattern if you have any question about it. Happy to help.

* * * * *

updated 05/03/2015:
I am also alacemaker and am working on what I have dreamed about for quite sometime:
the Chrismonsin Lace Series.
This is a design by Brigitte Bellon.She is incredible generous and allowed me to share her pattern herewith you for your own personal use PDF"Fish"
Here is my finished lace for my Adventcalendar. This is my own design and nothing like Brigitte's but I was in a hurry.



1 comment:

Julie Turner said...

They are really lovely